Friday 6 June 2014

pitta pizza party - 5/6/2014


Sometimes in order to get people to read the stuff I write about dough with tomatoes on, I post the link to new blog entries on my Facebook. Last time I did this - for the pizza bagels post a few weeks ago - I was LITERALLY INUNDATED (four people commented) with suggestions for the next bread I should turn into a pizza. The victor was pitta bread, and as I was a pitta pizza novice until last night, my pals Hector and Lu came over to give me a hand in undertaking this complex transformation of mere bread to delicious meal. Essentially this was the pizza equivalent to the bit in She's All That when Evan Rachel Wood takes her glasses off, shedding her plain Jane exterior, and wears a tight dress in order 2 fulfil her destiny as a complete betty. Pitta pizza is also a betty.

So first of all we started by making some pizza sauce. Same ingredients as the ones for the sauce in the bagel post, except we added oregano too. It tasted good.


Then Hector, as the resident pitta pizza expert (his mum makes them for him when he goes home from uni in the holidays), performed the most crucial part of the operation - carefully slicing the pittas down the side so you end up with two flat bits per pitta, rather than two stubby halves like usual, say if you were putting the pitta in the toaster.

Hector was super stoked to be cutting some pitta bread. It is his calling.
Then we chopped some veg (I think we had mushrooms, peppers, red onion, black olives, courgettes, chillies and sundries tomatoes), spread the sauce over the pittas which were lined up on baking trays wrapped in foil, topped them (I just had veg, Hector and Lu also had torn mozzarella which seemed like a cool touch), and put them in the oven to bake for around ten minutes at about 160 degrees (my oven gets very hot very quickly though, so maybe adjust that for your own appliances). But not before I had the chance to take some incredibly obnoxious A Level Art-lookin' photos:




What I liked about pitta pizzas as opposed to the other breads I have experimented with in the past was that they give you room for lots of toppings, which is something that bagels and crumpets just cannot do. Also, their thinness is gr8 if you're about that crispy base life (I am), because as long as you cook them correctly in the oven (i.e. don't let them burn), they'll crisp up really nicely so that you get a p satisfying crunch when you bite into them. They are also surprisingly substantial, in that they're filling (we had these for dinner, but we did use Tesco's large pittas rather than regular sized ones) and also that they're real sturdy - as you can see they have quite a lot of toppings on them and they held up to that pressure well. I think pitta bread would do well on The Cube. When they came out of the oven, they looked like this:


which is, clearly, completely dope. 

So yeah, those are pitta pizzas, and they are probably the best bread I have Queer Eye For The Straight Guy'd so far. They taste great - the base is crispy and the toppings we used were all delicious and didn't make the bread soggy or droopy or anything. Making them was also a really fun thing to do with palz (shout out to Hector and Lucy for coming to help out) so I would recommend that u have a pitta pizza party of yr own sometime soon.


Pizza rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment