Monday 23 June 2014

Pizza Artisan, Oxford - 11/06/14


"Some pizzas are born great. Others have greatness thrust upon them." 
- ancient proverb

It has now been a while since I ate from Oxford's elusive Pizza Artisan truck, but I still remain as impressed as I was when I took that fateful first bite. I'm going to cut to the chase: this is hands down the best pizza experience in Oxford, and it rivals every London hype pizza joint I've visited, like, ever. It's as good and as fresh as pizza I ate in New York. Yeah, I said it. 

This was my second Pizza Artisan experience: the first was on a rainy evening at some point during my first year of university. This one was markedly better, 'cause the weather was gorgeous and the service was hella quick. For those unfamiliar with the Pizza Artisan mythology (get out tbh), the set up is as follows:


Most evenings from 7pm, a big shiny silver food truck appears outside Christ Church college on St. Aldate's in Oxford. However, this is not yr usual university town kebab meat fare: this van is a purveyor of the finest pizza in the land, with a menu which defies its tiny size in order to compete with the very best around. Both veggie and meat options abound, and each pizza is lovingly crafted by hand inside the van, and set to bake in its specially installed pizza oven. Obviously, when you're eating pizza this fresh, it's going to taste pretty fucking sexy. 

Olivia's margherita
Accompanied by my pizza pal Olivia, I ordered a Shiva (roasted red peppers, olives, mushrooms, green chillies) without the cheese, and Olivia got a margherita which you can see above. All of the Pizza Artisan pizzas also come with a generous helping of salad leaves (rocket and spinach), and a drizzling with the oil of your choice - I had garlic, Olivia opted for olive.

Needless to say, these pizzas were d o p e. Made carefully to order, each pie is clearly a labour of love, even during busy periods. The toppings are of an incredibly high quality (check out those mozzarella globs!), and the base treads the perfect balance between soft and crispy. All of my vegetables were totally delicious, and there was also no shortage of sauce which I really appreciated, 'cause the Pizza Artisan sauce is delicious and I'd drink it like Coca Cola for realsies. 

I feel like, for this Pizza Artisan visit, the stars really aligned: our food was ready quickly, and we waited for it in the beaming sun; we also ate outside in the super cute surroundings of Christ Church Meadow, and the pizza tasted fresh and delicious. I can't really think of much else that I would want from a pizza visit, and so for that reason a restinpizza first is about to happen: 

Pizza rating 10/10
If you're in Oxford this summer, do yourself a favour and visit your new best mates at Pizza Artisan. You will thank me, I swear. 

P.S. - s/o to Danny for suggesting that I go to this place on the very day I was planning on going. Some spooky shit, hunty.

Pizza Artisan
Christ Church, St. Aldate's, Oxford
http://www.pizzaartisan.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment