Wednesday 25 June 2014

Delici O's pizza bases - 17/06/14 and 18/06/14




(Yeah I had pizza two days in a row. Only Jesus can judge me.)

Assembling pizzas with your own chosen ingredients is a pretty fun activity, so I did it a couple of times last week (also I was moving out of my uni house and had limited resources so I had to get rid of all my veg and cheese). I did so using Delici O's wholemeal pizza bases which I bought because they were on special in Tesco, but they actually turned out to be pretty good.

The sauce u see used here is that of my own recipe (passata/tomato puree/garlic/Italian herbs/stir), and the toppings are Mozzarella Style Cheezly (big up 2 this prince of vegan cheeses), mushrooms, green peppers and garlic oil which I concocted by squidging some garlic puree into a lil bit of olive oil. On one of the two occasions when I ate this pizza, I also added a chopped Linda McCartney sausage which gave proceedings a nice (fake) meaty texture:


The real point of this particular pizza post I guess is to talk about the Delici O's bases. Good news is that they are entirely vegan, and also they are very thin and crispy so if that's your bag then go forth and eat. I also like very much that you can get different variations of these bases - you can buy ones which have been made with either plain or wholemeal flour, and you can also buy mini ones which is cute. Slightly not so good news is that the texture was not my favourite - the outer crust in particular was crumbly in an almost pastry-like way. Don't get me wrong, it still tasted dope, but it was not a strictly pizza-y texture.

To be honest, pre-made pizza bases are never gonna be the holy grail just by their very nature (they don't have proper crusts, for one), but they do often make for a fun and satisfying lil meal. They're also pretty great if you have certain dietary stuff going on that regular pre-made pizzas don't cater for, because they mean that you can still have pizza, but just the way you want it, rather than having to compromise. Delici O's did the job for sure.

Pizza rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment