Wednesday 9 April 2014

Grove Café, Leeds - 5/4/14



last weekend I went to Grove in Leeds. I was pretty excited about that because literally everyone I have ever spoken to about Grove properly loves Grove. Would I love Grove? I was soon to find out.

This place is weird because when you get there you don't expect it to be that good, because it is sort of in the middle of nowhere, and it also doubles as a curry house. But obviously the hype was right/it's completely class/the pizza is good as all fuck. 

Something which is especially cool about Grove is that they do an unusual amount of vegan pizza options, two of which you can see in the photo above. My pizza was a nice change from the norm because instead of tomato sauce, it had like this sort of odd but crazy delicious spinach and garlic thing on the bottom which I was really into. It also had on it vegan cheese (!), green peppers, aubergines and sweetcorn, which I added as an extra, all of which were good. The aubergines were especially tasty because they tasted like they had been cooked in garlic, which is a process that improves most food items approximately 100%. I think what makes Grove stand out as a v good purveyor of pizza is the fact that all of the toppings/topping combinations are sick and have obviously been well thought out, which is actually pretty unusual imho.  

The only part of this pizza which I found a little bit disappointing was the base, 'cause it didn't taste that fresh and I am all about that fresh dough life so that was sort of sad, but the toppings were so good that I can let it slide. 

Also, when I sicked this pizza back up at 4:30am after drinking 5 double vodkas really quickly (thanku DQ Sheffield) it did not even taste that gross so I think that is quite a good endorsement for Grove.  

Pizza rating: 8.5/10
(minus points for base, extra points for making my vomit more pleasant than it might have been)

Grove Café, 133-135 Cardigan Road, LS6 1LJ
http://www.grove-cafe.co.uk

(ty Ben 4 the photo even though my mouth looks strange in it)

No comments:

Post a Comment