Tuesday 22 April 2014

Il Principe, Oxford - 19/4/14


This sultry, spinach-y temptress came courtesy of Il Principe pizza, an unassuming lil Italian deli joint on Cowley Road in Oxford (or, as I often fondly refer to the city of dreaming spires, 'prison'.) I can say with almost certainty that Il Principe is one of the three best pizza places in Oxford (matched and potentially topped only by the Pizza Artisan van but I'll almost definitely discuss that with u another day so don't you even worry pizza fans I got yr backs), mainly because, as a deli, their ingredients are pretty out of this world. 

Allow me to elaborate: I want to bathe in the Il Principe sauce. I'm not even a tiny bit ashamed of that fact. It's got a completely amazing fresh tomato tang that sets off their mild but huge globs of fresh mozzarella in a match more heaven-sent than David and Victoria Beckham (their love is so pure, man). This particular pizza was number 16 on the takeaway menu, and it's called a Venezia. It features "tomato, mozzarella, spinach, garlic olive oil and parmesan", which is a pretty simple topping combination but obviously, as you can probably tell, it tasted great. I was also pleasantly surprised by the garlic olive oil, which I could actually taste. Usually when places include shit like that it's pretty bland so I was impressed.   

The base is also dope. I appreciate the fact that they clearly lube the crusts up with oil before the pizza gets to you, 'cause they retain their crispiness whilst simultaneously achieving a slight moistness which keeps the enjoyable notion that this foodstuff is fundamentally bad for you at the back of your mind.

If you're in Oxford and you're not eating Il Principe, you're probably a FUCKEN NERD (lol let's face it u probably are though) and you should change that sharpish. This is rly good pizza that almost reminds me of a New York slice (but tinier) and maybe you should treat urself to it one time, bae.

Pizza rating: 8/10 
(loses a point because it's pretty expensive sorry guys)

Il Principe, 82 Cowley Road, OX4 1JB
http://ilprincipedeli.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment